Wednesday 23 March 2011

Jerusalem


I rewrote this hymn some time ago because it's one of my favourite ever. William Blake was the original genius who penned it and I thought, if you altered some words, it could be about Nigeria. So here's my version which I feel is particularly apt at the moment because of elections. Its our time to build a new Nigeria. Read the original.

Jerusalem

And did those feet, in ancient times,

Fish upon Lagos’ bounteous seas,

And was the holy Lamb of God,

On Jos’ verdant mountains seen?


And did the Countenance Divine,

Shine forth upon our dusty plains?

And was Jerusalem, builded here,

Among those dark satanic rigs.


Bring me my bow, of burning gold!

Bring me my arrows of desire,

Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!

Bring me my chariots of fire!


I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

Till we have built Jerusalem

On Nigeria’s green and pleasant land.


P.S
Listen to them sing it in the brilliant movie Chariots of Fire.



And of course the famous opening scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...