Wednesday 7 March 2012

N.E.P.A


Growing up, many evenings and nights were spent in darkness. I did not mind too much when the power was cut off in the afternoon. Though the house became dim, there was still enough light to read and play Ludo and hopscotch. It was around 6pm when N.E.P.A had still not brought light that the absence of electricity became annoying. There were candles but reading by candle light had been embargoed by my mother for fear we would be partially blind before we reached our teenage years. So between 7pm when we ate and 9- 10pm when we slept, there was a lot of time to kill.

Sometimes we played with fire. This could take up a good half hour. We started by running our fingers through the candle flame. There was no winner in this game but the slower you passed your finger through the flame, the more of a pro you were. If you ran your finger through very quickly, you didn't feel anything and chicken that I was, I always took this option. Also, there was the two finger candle game where you tried to put out the flame by pinching it between your thumb and your index finger. I never attempted this round but some of the maids would show off  by putting out the flame in this fashion. Then of course there was the candle wax game, which entailed spilling the molten wax on your hands and then scraping it off when it cooled.

However, my personal favourite was the matches game. You took a match, held it to the flame and let it catch fire. You then held it for as long as you possibly could. The further down the match the flame burned, the more proficient you were at this game. One of my proudest moments was when I managed to burn the whole match stick, right from its sulfuric head to its wooden stump. Usually, I could only burn the match for a few seconds before the heat got too close to my fingers and I dropped it. Then one day, I realised that if I held the charred end, I could burn the whole match with ease. After I'd beaten the system, I grew tired of the match game.

I tell this story because over the weekend I went to a seafood restaurant which was mostly lit by candle light. And it wasn't any of those fancy scented candles but the thick, white wax ones that I grew up with it. Of course, we began playing with the flame. I would break off pieces of wax and liquidize them in the blue part of the flame. I would spill the melted wax down the side of the candle. My friend opposite me even ran her finger through, a feat I found I no longer had the liver for. I don't know how but at some point, I tipped the candle too far and the molten wax that builds up under the flame spilled onto the back of my hand. I flinched but to my surprise I was able to chest the pain and even enjoyed scraping the wax off when it hardened.

After we got tired of playing with the flames, we made shadow puppets. I wasn't very good at this, my fingers are quite clumsy, but my cousins could do some wonderful shapes. I never progressed past the perfunctory butterfly but others could act out complete dramas on the walls. When we tired off puppets, we moved to singing. I played the piano, my sister would drum on our much bruised dining table and we would all sing, soprano, alto and tenor. I can still play with my eyes closed because of this training in the half light of the candles.

Sometimes we would go to bed without them having brought light. Other times the light would come suddenly, mid-song. The electricity would startle us, our eyes would squint at the artificial brightness of it and the flame would suddenly lose its magic.  "Up NEPA!" we would shout but we didn't mean it entirely. We had been enjoying  the camaraderie of the candle. With electricity there was no excuse for sitting together and singing. To switch off all the lights and continue making shadow puppets would be foolish when work clothes had to be ironed. And why play with wax when you could watch TV. So we would disperse until the next time NEPA had not brought light by evening and there was not enough diesel to power the generator.

A few months ago I was in America during a storm and the power was cut off. In the evening, candles were lit all over the house that only a day before had consumed an entire village's supply of electricity. It was my favourite night of the trip. This is how things should be sometimes, I thought as I played my uncle's piano with my eyes closed. This is how it should be.

4 comments:

  1. Liver and chesting. Been a while since I encountered those slangs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chibundu, you are right. At times we just need to take a step back to reflect on how things used to be. Such reflections often lead to nostalgia, but at other times can act as a source of inspiration. Although it sounds like you and your family had a swell time during the times of "darkness", I doubt you'll want your offspring to experience the kind of power outage we see in Nigeria. However, it will be of great importace that when we grow older and have kids, we can find opportunities to encourage family time that isn't inspired by NEPA taking light. #PlanningForABetterNIgeria. :)

    p.s - i'm very excited about your book. #cantwait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes o. I went old school to get them Azuka. And anonymous you're right. I suppose what I'm nostalgic for is the family time that went with N.E.P.A taking light, not the darkness and heat and food spoiling in the fridge. And I hope you enjoy the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When he break up with me my heart was filled with pains,sorrow..couldn't just bear it any more because i was madly in love with my boyfriend. Every day and night i thought of him and always wish he would come back to me, i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and came across a testimony that suggested "Dr osofo that he can help get ex back fast a nd also stop a divorce. I felt I should give him a try...I contacted him and he told me what he need to work on my situation and i gave them to him then he did a love spell for me... 48 hours after, my boyfriend called me and came back to me and apologized for leaving me..(cos he hurt me) and promised never to do that again. Since that day, he has really be so nice to me.. he just love me more...am so happy..All thanks to dr osofo. If you have any problem and your want to get your ex back contact him, I was also told he have herbal medicine that cure all kinds of diseases/sickness, contact dr osofo now through his email......( osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...